Thursday, March 18, 2010

I got the ball rolling- Hope I don't drop it

So since the last time I wrote I have decided on my story and have set up my interview for tomorrow night.
The annual Skyfire event sees about 100 000 people in Canberra surround Lake Burley Griffin to watch fireworks set to music. This is organised by the one of the commercial radio stations 104.7 and the sound track for the fireworks is broadcast live on their station.
Family fun and frivolity is promised, and it is hyped up by the radio station months in advance, each year promising to be bigger and better than the last year.
Having lived in Canberra my whole life, I have heard many stories of the event, but much to just about everyone's surprise have never actually attended the event.
The stories I have heard over the years have not really been positive ones. In highschool it was seen as the event to go to and drink alcohol underage and meet other teens from different parts of Canberra as it really the only event where 1000's of teenagers can go. Legally they are not allowed to drink, but older friends, siblings and even parents have been known to supply the alcohol. I had many friends have their first drink there, first kiss and horribly even had a friend sexually assaulted there when she was 16.
There have also been stories of Police IDing my friends and tipping out/confiscating any alcohol that they had in their possession, but there have been far less of these stories over the years than stories of drunken behaviour. Teens doing the wrong thing at Skyfire will always out-number the Police trying to control them.
I then heard through the grapevine that an youth organisation called Red Frogs would be present at Skyfire this year, providing a 'safe tent' free from alcohol and giving away free food, soft drinks and having couches for young people to relax on.
So I have set up an interview with the Canberra Co-ordinator of the Red Frogs tomorrow night to talk to him about why they are volunteering to help the youth and the problems they have come across during the night. I also hope to be able to talk to a Police Officer and a teen about what they think of the underage drinking that occurs at Skyfire and whether the presence of Red Frogs have made a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment